This may have been the craziest and most surprising World Cup yet, PERIOD. Sorry I am a bit late, but lets get into it!
- Mohammed Salah and Egypt disappoint earning 0 points for the tournament.
- Spain and Portugal both barely make it out of the Group Stage as Iran and Morrocco almost made this World Cup even crazier.
- Argentina had to actually earn a spot in the Knockout Stage as Nigeria almost derailed Messi and his team.
- GERMANY FAILS TO REACH THE KNOCKOUT STAGE. Sweden beat Mexico meaning Germany just needed to beat South Korea to get in and the defending champs failed to avoid the upset from the Korean’s.
- Colombia did just enough to get out of a surprisingly scary group where Japan impressed, and Poland struggled.
Round of 16
- Ronaldo took an early exit in the Round of 16 as Portugal fell to Uruguay in a competitive game.
- However, there was an even more entertaining game in the Round of 16 as France had to make a late comeback to take out Messi and show us that there is a new superstar in soccer. Kylian Mdappe scored two goals when the game was tied at 2 to give France an heart-stopping win!
- The day after France’s incredible win, Russia pulled off a massive upset over Spain in a game that came down to PKs!
- Croatia/Denmark was the next game up and they also needed PKs in a very intense game in the closing stages that Croatia ended up winning.
- Brazil had an easy time taking care of Mexico who played a very bad game at the worst possible time.
- Belgium’s Round of 16 game may have been my favorite game of the tournament as they went down 2-0 early, only to pull off the best comeback of the tournament to win 3-2!
- Swedens first Knockout Stage game went better than I thought it would as they took out Switzerland who did not play a very good game overall.
- Lastly, for the First Round, England finally got the job done in PKs as they put an end to Colombia’s interesting World Cup run.
- France had no problems ending Uruguay’s tournament with a two-nil win.
- Belgium sends Brazil packing with a very solid game that Brazil could find success in.
- England easily handles Sweden.
- Croatia needed PKs for a second time in the Knockout Stage to send the host Russia home in a disappointing way.
- France dominated Belgium for the most part the entire Semi-Final game and they were able to barely hold off Belgium late to punch their ticket to the Final.
- Croatia who stayed very quiet the entire tournament snuck by winning two games that went to PKs and advanced to the Final in Extra Time over England.
3rd Place Game
- Belgium and England got a group stage rematch for 3rd place in the World Cup, and Belgium took the win once again!
- Croatia and France gave us one fantastic Final Game. An own goal started us off giving France the lead, then Ivan Perisic was able to find the net for a stellar goal to tie it up. Then, a hand ball review was called a penalty, so Antoine Griezmann stepped up to the spot and put the ball in the goal with ease. Next, Paul Pogba gave France some comfort with an absolutely stunning goal to put France up 3-1. Shortly after, Kylian Mdappe gets his name on the score sheet to put the cap on World Cup Title for France! However, the score ended up being 4-2 as Hugo Lloris had a mishap allowing Croatia to score a second goal.
Congratulations on an amazing tournament run by France, it was truly a fantastic tournament that shocked and excited soccer fans around the world!