Wednesday’s throughout the season I will be posting my Mid Major Top 25 highlighting the 25 best non-power conference teams.
Mid Major Top 25
|6||South Dakota State|
|22||St Francis (PA)|
25 Mid Major Notes
- Buffalo pulls off another massive upset beating West Virginia behind CJ Massinburg’s 41 points as they continue where they left off last year where they upset Arizona in the NCAA Tournament. The upset was able to get Buffalo ranked for the first time in school history.
- Wofford struggles shooting the ball early, and Fletcher Magee got going too late for Wofford to upset UNC again.
- Penn and George Mason played a tight first half, and it remained that way throughout the 2nd half with Penn getting a tight victory by 1 point. However, Penn may be without their star Ryan Betley who was injured in the game.
- Stony Brook beats George Washington in a great overtime win, then turns around to upset South Carolina as well. The Seawolves couldn’t have asked for a better start to the season.
- Hartford surprisingly loses to Central Connecticut State and gets blown out by Utah State to fall out of my Top 25.
- South Dakota State holds off Grand Canyon in a tight game.
- Louisiana Tech upsets a surprisingly weak Wichita State team.
- Texas Southern grabs a comeback upset win in Waco over Baylor!
- UC Irvine pulls off a sneaky good upset over Texas A&M.
- Charlotte upsets Oklahoma State on a last second shot by Jon Davis who had 27 points.
- FAU and Southern Miss held it down for the Conference USA as FAU upset UCF and Southern Miss upset SMU. Conference USA > American Athletic so far!
- CS Fullerton needed 2 overtimes to eventually fall to Arizona State in a great game.
- San Fran led UC Davis by 20 at half and ended up winning an eye-opening game by 34.
- San Diego takes care of business in a win over a top Big Sky team in Weber State and nearly upset Washington who was an AP Top 25 team at the time.
- Nevada and BYU were tied at half in a very tight game until Nevada used a late push in a great win over BYU.
- UTSA who was slated to contend in the Conference USA, but was the first D1 team to lose to a non D1 school (St Edwards).
- Cal State Bakersfield led TCU the majority of the game, but they were not able to close the door on the upset.
- James Madison gives us the first buzzer beater of the year as they pull off a great win over ECU.
- Loyola loses a shocker to Furman at home. Furman was not on the radar in the SoCon this year due to the seniors they lost, but add them back into the mix with a massive win over Loyola.
- Old Dominion suffers a 15 point loss to St Joes starting their season off on a bad note as they look to contend in the Conference USA.
- Belmont had a fantastic first game to jump into the Mid Major Top 25 as they put up 100 points in an 11-point win over Illinois State who was slated to challenge Loyola Chicago this season.
- Murray State followed in their conference foes footsteps and they got a statement win just like Belmont, blowing out Wright State who are the Horizon League favorites.
- In our first game between Top 10 Mid Major teams Marshall was able to fend off Hofstra by 4 points in a spectacular game.
- Montana and Georgia State go into battle in a game between two goliath mid major teams as Montana comes out on top.
- St Mary’s shows me that they will still contend in the WCC even though they lost many seniors last year. The Gaels took down Utah Valley by 29 points who are contenders in the WAC.