Wednesday’s throughout the season I will be posting my Mid-Major Top 25 highlighting the 25 best non-power conference teams along with some Mid-Major notes.
Mid-Major Top 25
|21||South Dakota State|
|24||New Mexico State|
- Wofford goes on the road and upsets South Carolina by 20 for a great win.
- Murray State suffers their first loss of the year in a tough 6-point loss to Alabama. Ja Morant scored 38 for the Racers and he is now projected to be a lottery pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.
- In the Elite 8 rematch Nevada goes into Loyola Chicago’s gym and gets revenge off of a solid performance from The Martin Twins who both scored over 20 points.
- Radford upsets Texas in Austin for their second upset win of the year after they beat Notre Dame. Coming off their win over the Longhorns, Radford had a “let down” game as they lost at James Madison, which is a very tough place to play.
- San Fran blows out SF Austin and Buffalo easily beats Milwaukee in the Belfast Classic. In the championship game, Buffalo holds off a very good San Fran team in Ireland to take home the Belfast title.
- Marshall does not look like the team that upset Wichita State in March Madness right now as they gave up 101 points to rival Ohio in a 17-point loss. However, I still believe in Marshall to be one of the favorites in the Conference USA.
- Abilene Christian is undefeated no longer as they lost to Pepperdine.
- BYU drops a tough game to Weber State in a very high scoring affair.
- Utah State makes another very impressive statement dominating the Big West favorites UC Irvine by 24 points.
- Furman needed double overtime to beat Western Carolina which is concerning, but they ended up being ranked in the AP Top 25.
- Loyola Marymount loses their first game of the season getting blown out by UCLA.
- Penn holds down The Palestra as they absolutely pick Miami apart in an upset win.
- Georgia State overcomes a 22-point deficit in the second half and hit a walk off three pointer to steal an upset over Alabama.
- New Mexico State owns the state of New Mexico in basketball as they beat New Mexico 100-65 to jump into the Mid-Major Top 25.
- Belmont beats Lipscomb for the second time this season and those two losses are Lipscomb’s only losses on their tough non-conference schedule.