Every Monday, I will be releasing my updated Top 25 teams in the country along with headlines from power conference teams.
Top 25 Headlines
- Michigan gets their first challenge of the year in Northwestern’s new arena beating the Wildcats by just 2 points as the buzzer beater rimmed out.
- Michigan State makes a statement in Big Ten Play as they blew out Iowa, and to close the week, the Spartans got its last seven points in a breakout performance from Kyle Ahrens to push them over the edge @ Florida.
- Arizona State loses their first game of the season in a good effort against Nevada. ASU blew a 12-point half-time lead to lose by 6.
- It felt like March on Saturday when Myles Powell thought he had the game won for Seton Hall with a stunning three with a second left. However, in that final second Kentucky threw the ball into Keldon Johnson and he drained a half-court shot at the buzzer to send the game to overtime. In overtime, Seton Hall pulled away for the win, but those last seconds of regulation had madness written all over it. With this loss for Kentucky, many experts stated that they are not a Top-25 team, but I had the Wildcats barely inside the Top 25.
- Mississippi State has no problem in a solid win over Clemson.
- Houston remains undefeated with a road win over Oklahoma State.
- Wisconsin is upset by Marquette in overtime as Markus Howard posted 27 points in the win for the Golden Eagle.
- To end Week 5 of College Hoops with a bang, #1 Gonzaga goes down in a loss to Tennessee. The Vols were led by senior Admiral Schofield who had 30 points on the night to shake up the top 5.
- Miami has now lost 4 straight after being 5-0 including losses to Seton Hall, Rutgers, Yale and now Penn.
- Tulsa has a great week, beating Oklahoma State and upsetting Kansas State.
- Minnesota uses a 17-5 run to upset Nebraska.
- Providence suffers a concerning loss to Umass right when it looked like the Friars were putting things together after edging out Boston College earlier in the week.
- TCU goes into Southern California and absolutely embarrasses USC winning by 35. USC does not look anywhere close to being a tournament team this season.
- Oklahoma embarrasses Wichita State with an 80-48 win. The Shockers are terrible state right now as they look to rebuild.
- Cincy takes home the victory this year in their annual rivalry with Xavier 62-47.
- Indiana beats Louisville by one in a tight back and forth game. To me both of these teams look like tournament teams so far this season.
- Right when Rutger’s basketball program was starting to look up, they lost to the worst team in the A10 over the last few seasons, Fordham.
- Syracuse’s Tyus Battle hits a mid-range jumper in the final seconds to get the win for the Orange over Georgetown in what used to be a fantastic Big East rivalry.
- Arkansas suffers a crucial loss at home to Western Kentucky by just one point.
- UCLA’s Kris Wilkes nailed a last second three pointer to give the Bruins the much needed win over Notre Dame.
- Arizona was looking like a Top 25 team, but on Sunday they fell to Alabama to keep them out.
- Texas gets back on track after three straight losses with a win over Purdue.
Photo Credit: CBS Sports