Every Monday, we will be releasing our updated college basketball rankings, with headlines from power conference teams.
*Duke vs Virginia, #1 vs #2, Saturday January 19th*
Top 25 Headlines
- Tennessee goes on the road and dominates once again beating a sneaky good Missouri team by 24 and winning in a tough place to play @ Florida.
- Maryland defeats Minnesota in a very intriguing Big Ten match-up making the Terrapins 4-1 in Big Ten play.
- Villanova holds off St Johns on their home court led by Eric Paschall and Phil Booth who have been on fire lately.
- North Carolina plays a great game away from home beating in-state rival NC State in a top 15 match-up, but in a shocker Louisville not only upsets UNC in Chapel Hill, but they won by 21.
- Marquette defeats Creighton in a high scoring, overtime thriller, 106-104 as Markus Howard scores 53 points on the night which is a Big East single game record. Howard may be the best scorer in College Hoops.
- Temple picks up a stellar win on their home court, handing Houston its first loss of the year leaving just Virginia and Michigan undefeated.
- Ole Miss is starting to feel like the Arizona State of last year. The Rebels who were picked to finish last in the SEC this year are now 13-2 after upsetting in-state rival Mississippi State and upsetting Auburn earlier in the week.
- Oklahoma gets back in the win column after losing two of their last three by beating TCU in a great game.
- Duke’s Cam Reddish nails a three pointer in the closing seconds of the game to give the Blue Devils a win in their first true road game of the season over Florida State who played really well at home.
- Despite South Carolina’s rough start the Gamecocks have played better with SEC play in full force beating Florida and upsetting Mississippi State.
- Iowa State and Texas could not get the job done on the road as Iowa State lost to Baylor and Texas lost to Oklahoma State.
- Rutgers wins their first ever basketball game against a ranked Big Ten opponent by upsetting Ohio State.
- Cincy and Tulsa go back and forth in a great game out of the AAC, as Cincy was able to pull it out in overtime by 5. Also, in AAC action, UConn finally wins a conference game beating SMU by 12.
- In a Big Ten double-header on Friday Night, Maryland rallies past Indiana winning by three at home, and Purdue finally grabs the meaningful road win they needed for their resume over Wisconsin who has lost three of their last four.
- UCLA pulls off a miracle trailing eight points with 45 seconds to go, the Bruins somehow sent the game to overtime and went on their way with a road win over Oregon.
- Dean Wade returned for Kansas State for the first time this season and the Wildcats were back to looking like they did in the Elite Eight last year beating Iowa State on the road in Wade’s first game back.
- Davidson takes care of business and stays atop the A10 by holding off VCU.
- Right when people started to believe that St Johns was finally going to return to the NCAA Tournament, the Red Storm made it a lot tougher losing to DePaul at home.
- In this week’s edition of the terrible PAC 12, the team the was deemed to be #1 (Arizona State) lost to a team that was close to the bottom (Stanford). This conference continues to look like it will only get one bid into the NCAA Tournament which is up for grabs for any of the 12 teams at this point. On the bright side, at least Washington and Arizona have looked good as of late.